Tuesday 3 January 2017

Fair game Brexit

Over Christmas I watched Fair Game, a biographical drama based on Valerie Plame's memoir, Fair Game: My Life as a Spy, My Betrayal by the White House. One of the interesting sub plots is how the White House was determined to manufacture a case for the existence of WMDs in Iraq. In so doing, anyone offering up even a shred of material which could be used as evidence was promoted to the level of policy adviser to the astonishment and irritation of intelligence operatives.

Worse still it shows how dissenting voices bare the full brunt of the establishment as it seeks to control the narrative. Plame had her entire career, reputation and livelihood wrecked. In this it is easy to see the parallels with Brexit as various falsehoods are held aloft as truth - not least the continued reinforcement of the £350m lie. There are many rewards for those who repeat the Vote Leave narratives - but only exclusion awaits for those with different ideas.

Looking at various select committees we can see that Brexiteers are all too keen on hearing the "evidence" they like but not so keen on alternatives. It is for this reason we can expect a dog's Brexit. Mrs May has put up a strong firewall between her and her idiotic Brexiteer ministers but Brexit MPs are still under the delusion that there are sunlit uplands without compromise. Even Mrs May's more pedestrian comments betray a certain naivety.

A lot of the time I end up sounding like a lefty because I am starting to hate Tories for all the same reasons the left do. There's nothing wrong with being a (c)onservative but to be a Tory devotee is to suspend all of ones own critical faculties, repeat any lie and do so for entirely selfish reasons in the hope of climbing the greasy pole. Not for nothing are they called self-servatives.

I am under no illusions that the left wing establishment is much the same where NGOs take the place of think tanks, and the same grubby power struggles take place, and I am sure if I knew all the players on the left as well as I do on the right I would despise them equally, but for the moment it is the Tories standing in the way of a workable Brexit deal.

To this day Vote Leave offshoots continue to repeat the same old lies, promoting the same slovenly mantras and will re-write referendum history to maintain control of the debate. That is why I will never delete this blog even if I stop writing. The record must show the truest course of events possible for the future. For all of my errors, not once have I knowingly told a lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment